Wednesday, January 7, 2009

In Search of the Perfect Camera Case for the Canon G10

I am really picky about my camera cases. Not so much because I have a set criteria, but because there are so many intangibles associated with picking a camera case. It's a little like choosing your doctor. Yes, you heard me right. There are things about a case you just can't put your finger on. The feel, the materials, the workmanship... I always have the same feeling when I choose a new doctor, but that's a different blog. Let me just say that in both instances I start out clueless, get a little smarter after a bit of research, then just pick one, or two, or three. Now you know the truth. I have three cases for my Nikon D700. Luckily, I don't have that many doctors at the moment.

I thought a chronicle of the process might be useful to others. If I can help you choose a good case for your G10, fantastic! Just don't ask me about doctors.


Camera Case No. 1: The Canon PSC-85
I started this quest like all others, by researching all the options. I finished by getting tired of researching all the options and just bought one. It was, however, the only one that had official documentation that stated it would fit the G10. Canon didn't say it would fit, but Cameta Camera did, via their ebay ad. Well, it kind of fits, like the suit I wore to my high school prom fits. Tight. Very tight. Seam ripping tight. Otherwise, its a great case.

As you can see from the picture, the camera is as wide as the outside of the case. Because the case is a little deeper (front to back) than the camera, it is able to deform from its original shape and become wider. For a really soft case, that might not be a problem. What the pictures don't show, however, is that this case is of the more rigid type. There is some kind of flexible plastic sandwiched between the outer and inner layers. It does give a bit, but not without a fight. The camera is a bit too long as well, so when you finally wrestle the camera into the case, the flap misses the velcro by about 3/4".

Aside from the fit issue, this would be a great case for a smaller camera. The materials and workmanship are very good. There isn't a lot of padding, but there is some. As stated earlier, it is semi rigid, so it would probably keep sharp objects from poking through and damaging the camera's display or lens cover. Personally, I'm in the thin/rigid camp myself. The size of the padding does add up quickly, in terms of the volume you have to carry around.

The velcro latch is also well thought out. The velcro is quite wide and very secure once it is pressed down. I also like the small zipper pouch with just enough room for a memory card. If you were thinking of packing batteries around, it wouldn't be large enough for you. Since the G10's battery is probably going to outlast me, I'm not going to be buying a spare. The PSC-85 also has a belt loop. The loop is fairly rigid and securely sewn to the back of the case.

I really like this case. It's a shame I don't have a camera to fit it.

Ranking: A+ for quality and workmanship, D- for G10 fit, and a very subjective C+/B for protection. The C+ is for drops because there should probably be a bit more padding for that. The B is for sharp object penetration, which should be good due to the rigid inner layer.

No comments:

Post a Comment