Monday, January 12, 2009

Part 3: In Search of the Perfect Camera Case for the Canon G10

This is the third, and final, installment of my Canon G10 camera case saga. If you haven't read the first, you can find it here, and the second here. I suppose it is final because I'm really tired of looking and did actually make a selection. It is also final because it really isn't final. If I come across another case I like better I'll probably buy it.

I decided I needed to really pound the pavement to see if I could find a case I liked. I went to just about any store I could think of that sells cameras. Unfortunately, the G10 size of camera is not very common. In some stores, there was a wall of cases for sub-compact, another wall for DSLRs, but few options for cameras that fit the in-between sizes range like the G10.

Cases not Chosen
So why would I include a bunch cases I didn't buy in this list. Well, my goal here was to help save some of those who read this a bit of time. You may like these cases enough to give them a try.

The Lowepro Z10 and Z20 (pictured together) would be very good choices in terms of quality. The materials are good, the workmanship is good, the padding is good... The Z10 is a good fit for the camera, but there isn't much room left over. The Z20 is a better fit and would allow you to stuff the neck strap into the top of the case. As you can see from the picture, the cases are about the same width, but the Z20 is taller. Definitely go with the Z20 if you want a place to put the neck strap.

So why didn't I like them. Well, the zippers are a pain to use. Because the whole top doesn't open, getting the camera out for that all important shot is just too problematic, especially if it is on your belt. If you're not carrying the camera on your belt, one of these would be a good choice.


Next on the try-for-yourself list is the Lowepro D Res 120. It does have a top access, so pulling the camera out is a bit easier. It is
 also a bit taller so you'll have room for the neck strap. Unfortunately, it too has a zipper and I just don't like fiddling with zippers when the case is attached to my belt. The D Res 120 case is also a bit mushy in terms of the materials. The Z10 and Z20 are more rigid due to the use of heavier materials. Had the materials been a bit more rigid, I probably would have purchased it and given it a try.

The last try-for-yourself recommendation is the Lowepro D-Pods 50. The materials are of the wetsuit variety, so it is a very flexible case. The padding is good, but way too mushy for my taste. I almost purchased this case, but gave the following 2 cases the slight advantage. And the winners are:

And the winner (Actually Winners): Tamrac  5689 & 5692

OK, why 2 winners? Well, I have 2 applications. The first is to carry the camera around on short outings. For that, the 5689 is perfect. I like the materials, though they could be a bit stiffer, and the zipper free opening with just a velcro latch. I also like the belt loop. which allows the case to be attached to the belt without taking the belt off. It has a double velcro system that is perhaps it is not quite as secure as a sewn in belt loop, but you won't be scaring anyone when you start to undo your belt either. It is also just deep enough to hold the camera and the neck strap or, my preference, a hand strap. It has an extra storage pouch for a memory card, but that's about all the extra stuff you're going to carry with this case. Here are a few pictures of the 8689 to give you an idea:

Tamrac 5689 with G10 halfway inserted
Tamrac 5689 closed

Tamrac 5689 belt loop which is secured to case with velcro and resecured with a velcro tab

The Tamrac 5692 is just about identical to the 5689 in size, however, it has an additional little storage pouch on the front of the case. This would allow you to add an extra battery, perhaps some AA batteries for an external flash, memory card... The case flap also has velcro but adds a plastic latch. I'm not sure why they have both. I think the latch might just get in the way, but if you're concerned about pick-pockets, the latch should give you a bit of extra confidence. The belt loop attachment is also of the variety that does not require taking your belt off. Finally, it is also fitted for and comes with a shoulder strap. I bought this one to use on my motorcycle, where I can just throw the shoulder strap around my head and arm and have easy access to the camera. Here are a few pics to give you a better idea of what the case looks like:

Tamrac 5692 w/G10 halfway in

Tamrac 5692 closed and latched

Tamrac 5692 showing the belt loop which secures with snaps and velcro

2 comments:

  1. What about the Lowepro Apex 60. I went with this case for my G10.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a kick ass vintage looking one... http://img06.taobaocdn.com/bao/uploaded/i6/T1jodiXibGntNpqNk8_100623.jpg_310x310.jpg

    It's awesome, no having to pull it out, adjust straps, just unclip and go!

    ReplyDelete